“Play hard or go home.”
It’s funny how one of my go-to catch-phrases has taken on a new life since my becoming a chiropractor, especially after working with so many athletes.
So. Many. Avoidable. Injuries.
Now “play hard AND go home” seems more appropriate!
Mount Helix and Spring Valley CA area, it’s time we have a talk.
Millions of people engage in weekend sports to stay active and connected with friends.
And while the likelihood of sustaining an injury increases as the years go on, you shouldn’t let that stop you from enjoying your favorite activities!
As the leading sports injury prevention chiropractor in Spring Valley and Mount Helix CA area, we want to share some proactive health habits for weekend sports that can help you stay in the game.
To prevent injuries, it's essential to be proactive about your health, and your weekday habits directly impact your weekend performance.
It's vital to stretch, strengthen and move through your entire range of motion daily.
1) Regular exercise during the week can help reduce the risk of injury on the weekends.
● According to Harvard Health Publishing, weekend warriors have a 40% lower risk of experiencing an adverse health event related to cardiovascular disease.
● Engaging in at least 75 minutes of vigorous exercise each week can help reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
● Regular exercise can also help improve your overall fitness level, making it easier to participate in weekend sports activities without getting tired or winded.
2) Strength training is another crucial factor in injury prevention.
● Building strength can help improve your body's support, stability, and balance.
● Focus on different muscle groups, including your core, upper body, and lower body.
● Resistance training exercises such as lunges, squats, push-ups, and planks can help improve your overall strength.
3) Regular movement is also essential for injury prevention.
● Extended periods of sitting can cause stiffness and reduce your body's flexibility, leading to an increased risk of injury.
● Therefore, move throughout the day, even if it's only for a few minutes.
● Using a smartwatch or a health app to remind you to get up and move your body can be an effective way to maintain a balance of strength and flexibility.
Remember, being proactive is crucial for injury prevention and staying in the game.
Start with the short list of proactive health habits for weekend sports we just shared.
Incorporating stretching, strength training, and movement into your daily routine can help reduce the risk of injury and improve your overall fitness level.
And as the leading sports injury prevention chiropractor in the Mount Helix and Spring Valley CA area, we're here to help you stay healthy and injury-free.
If you're looking for a chiropractor to help ensure you can play hard and recover well for years to come, don't hesitate to schedule a visit with us today!
The Underappreciated Health Benefits of Being a Weekend Warrior. Harvard Health Publishing. 2017.